Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Every little thing is gonna be alright : )

Today was one of those days where you wake up and things aren't great, but they aren't horrible, they're just kinda blah. You know? Everybody has them every now and then.

Bad hair, bad skin, bad mood and attitude, messy house, land line is dead (huh?), umpteen loads of laundry to do and dirty dishes up the wazoo. Zal's out of town, 2 outta my 4 kids haven't been feeling great, the alarm didn't go off, we're gonna be late and this was all before the 8am Mommy Taxi got rollin'!
Yoy.

So, instead of tackling things head on, I did what any completely overwhelmed woman would do and went shopping! First stop was groceries. Not so exciting, but all the fresh fruit and veggies we bought will be better for me to snack on than the crap I usually succumb to.

Talia was my little sidekick again today and we were on a mission to find thee perfect piece of furniture (yes, I meant thee, not the. It's just way more Candice Olson sounding and I love her show) to which our awesome *Bob Marley Get Up, Stand Up ipad/ipod/iphone dock/speaker* will live on forever more. It is one sexy beast and it needs a deserving home.


Well, no such luck. A few possibilities but nothing yelled "Take me home tonight...be my little baby!" just like Ronnie (and Eddie Money) sang. Oh well.

These are the two strongest contenders:



Nice. Well made. All real wood for only $85, and although I was able to talk the guys at the thrift store down to $70, there was a matching headboard and two dressers. I really didn't have the heart to break up the set. I know someone will buy them all before the weekend is through.
Besides which, it is perhaps a wee bit too fancy-schmancy for our living room and not really the best fit with the speaker {aka: Bob-o, Marley Man, Mr. Bob, I have a tendency to name inanimate objects. Don't judge me}

So next was this guy, a bargain at only $10 but definitely not real wood and would need some gussying up in the form of a paint job. We have been thinking the piece should have some color as Mr. Bob is wood tone to begin with. I like this guy a lot but I'm not known for my speed and efficiency when doing DIY projects and besides which he's a little bit stumpy, like George Costanza. I think the piece we end up with needs more height so we're not forever bending over to change the tunes.


***NOTE TO SELF; We NEED a boot rack/mitt dryer! How did you not notice the one in the background?***
Sigh.

Then, at another shop was this dainty lady for only $10, and I have been desiring after a bar cart because God knows that Zal and I love to throw a good ol' party. But it just seems too prissy. I like the brass, not so much the glass. I hate to dust and fingerprints make me angry. So, no.

But I have to admit that I am still thinking about her...



I'd like to quickly interject that I am pretty much a thrift shop hoppin' hussy. I don't choose one over another. I like to hit them all. I donate to where I think the donations will best be used and/or dispersed and I shop where I will get the best deal for myself and my family. I generally find that I spend equally at each one throughout the year when I keep tabs on my buys. My donations almost always go towards helping people and organizations right here in Saskatoon.
For me, it's fun. I don't bring my religious or political beliefs with me when I'm thrifting and I don't care to be judged by others for it either. To each their own.

So what did we buy? Well, a Justin Bieber charm bracelet, Mickey Mouse earrings and a Roots hoodie for Talia, and a Columbia spring coat and some books for Zaiden, all at amazingly low prices. If nothing else, I am frugal.
And for myself, thee (there it is again) very best siwash or "cowichan sweater" EVER (which was explained to me as the politically correct name) and some pretty smokin' hot boots.
I didn't NEED either, but the price was right and what the heck, you only live once.

Check this out. It's way beyond $7.99 worth of greatness, really...and it makes me wish I had aspired to be an Olympic ice dancer.





These boots were obviously NOT made for walkin'; but they are damn-well-dinner-out-with-my-BigSexy-worthy. ; )



So, a blah day turned into a pretty alright day thanks to a few measly purchases and a cool little co-shopper. Other highlights were having lunch out with Talia who is such an inquisitive, talkative, friendly and funny little chicklette and a quick visit with my lil' brother-in-law and his daughter at his home run daycare. He amazes me. And holy crunk, do they ever have a massive variety of TOYS there, and I thought we had a lot! My kids were in Heaven.
The mega-bonus was that Fabi (his daughter) took one look at me and said, "I have a picture of you". And she ran to get it, the pic we sent out in Christmas cards this year. Yay! She recognizes me. She is such a sweetiepie and looks exactly like Devan did at her age, minus the long hair and girly-girlness. It's uncanny.

I guess I should tell you all that the house has been tidied (to some degree), dishes are done, laundry is rollin', phone has been fixed, hair has been tamed, mood and attitude have changed for the better, kids were bathed and put to bed a little earlier, multiple alarm clocks are set and right at this moment I'm not worried about a thing. Except this zit, it's driving me nuts.

Omg! I can't forget to add this little ray of sunshiny goodness. The sole reason (other than furniture hunting) for shopping today was to find myself a citrus juicer for my tea. I cannot believe how difficult was to track this sucker down; new or used! If there was a Stokes or something similar near me I guess I might have found one. But definitely not for $1.99. Score!



Seeing as it is quickly going on midnight, I am going to set my alarm clock and hit the hay. Although I had 2 large iced coffees today, I'm not going to let caffeine win tonight. This Momma Bear needs sleep. Morning sneaks up way too quickly and I have another dreaded dentist appointment to deal with. I can't say I hate our new dentist but I won't go so far as to say that I love him, either.
G'nite!

No comments: